Saturday, March 6, 2010

Stand Up Updates ...

A typical stand up update from a tester usually goes like this:

"Yesterday, I was testing story xyz, blah blah ... I found X number of bugs ... This part of the application appears to have problems, blah blah ... Later in the day, new build had some issues ... Test Environment seems to have so and so problems ... yadda, yadda ..."

Right?

Well, my stand up updates used to be in the same line as well. Also, if you happen to be the only tester, then it gets worse.

While chatting with a colleague of mine in ThoughtWorks, I realized that all I speak in stand up is about problems! Over a period of time, I'll sound like a moron who just ruins everyone's day, especially since we start our day with stand up.

So, along with the problems and issues, now I've started talking about stories which went through testing with no or minor bugs and appreciate the same. Also how I tried my best to break the system, but with no luck, or how I failed to inject scripts or SQL after trying very hard. Also, instead of individual bugs, I've started talking about patterns, themes in the bugs found.


Well, just my 2 cents to keep the world a better place.

:-)

1 comment:

  1. Well, just my 2 cents to keep the world a better place.
    And I am sure that is much appreciated! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments won't reflect immediately, might take 10 minutes or a day :)